10.11.12

Baked Egg Boats

Yup, this is still another recipe that I had made for my family brunch two weeks ago. My mom, sister and I have a huge sweet tooth and thus, all the sweet brunch options appeal to us. That leaves my dad hanging, so I always try and include at least one savory dish. We need it to cut the sweetness anyways. I came across this idea when I was browsing through savory brunch recipes, and it just clicked!

I wasn't sure what I was expecting out of it, but it blew my mind. All four of us throughly enjoyed it and it has become our favorite savory brunch/breakfast option. Even though this recipe is perfect for 4-5 people (in combination with other dishes, of course), it can easily be made a single portion by simply using a smaller bread bowl sort of thing.

Anyways, what this is is bread hollowed out, filled with a scrumptious mixture of eggs, milk, salt & pepper and customizable filling options. It is then topped with cheese and baked until the egg is cooked, cheese is browned and bread is hollowed. This recipe can be made healthy by using skim milk, less cheese and only vegetable fillings. I splurged a bit and used a hefty amount of cheese, regular milk and a bit of pepperoni. On the other hand, you can make it as indulgent as you wish by using cream in place of milk, several meat fillings and tons of cheese.

Baked Egg Boats
I unfortunately don't have exact measurements for this recipe, but below is a list of ingredients. I will put in parentheses the approximate amount I used, but only use it as a baseline. Use your own judgment and preferences to build your own egg boats.
-Crusty bread such as baguette, French or Batard (2 Batard loaves)
-Eggs (6-7)
-Milk (1/3 cup)
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-Fillings (1/2 cup sliced mushrooms, 1/4 cup sliced pepperoni, 1/2 cup spinach, 1/2 cup sliced onion)
-Cheese (3/4 cup grated)
Preheat the oven to 200 C. Take the bread and scoop out the center (save the hollowed out bits for later - to make baked french toast, bread crumbs, anything really). Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper together. Mix in the fillings and pour the mixture into the hollowed out bread loaves. Top with cheese and place in the oven for 35 minutes.
Remove from the oven. Let it cool for 3 minutes and slice into thick garlic bread-type slices. It's as simple and delicious as that! Enjoy!
Finished product just before slicing. Ignore the dripped cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment